Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summertime

Since I like to write about the unexpected pleasures of suburbia, I just had to record the sight I saw today. Not entirely a pleasure, but certainly unexpected.
I was walking along with J in one hand and our dog Charley in the other, taking our little before-bed stroll.
Two teen boys approached and passed us. They said hi, I did the same, I looked away quickly, they giggled.
Why did I look away quickly? Because their arms were full of a six-pack and I wasn't sure what else, and I'm not one to judge youthful drinking too harshly.
But it was pretty brazen at 7:30 p.m. in full daylight, so I looked back to make sure I had seen what I thought I had.
Sure enough, they were carrying a six-pack of Budweiser. But to my surprise, they had tennis rackets slung across their backs and a can of tennis balls too. They were headed for the outdoor courts.
And I have to admit that I liked the idea. On a hot, muggy, mid-June Saturday night, two teenaged boys going off to play some tennis and drink some beer didn't seem like a bad thing. I'd probably feel differently if I were their parents of course. But exams are over. Summer's in.

No comments:

Post a Comment