Monday, May 28, 2012

A flabby girl walks into a gym...

I did something new today. I entered a gym. It's been a while since I've had any exercise. After a little running and a killer outdoor bootcamp last spring/summer, the naturopathic fertility guru blacklisted cardio, so I gave Ashtanga yoga a try. It was good for a while, but I never really got back on track after my trip to Vegas.
Then came summer weather and vacation planning.
A month ago, I asked my husband to add me to his gym membership, which he did. Then I did nothing.
There's never enough time for everything; how can I fit in fitness? So I asked him to cancel my membership; he steadfastly "forgot" to do so.
I kept reading and hearing (thanks to my inner voice) that fitness-time pays for itself in increased productivity. Today I realized that fitness-time might pay for itself another way -- more days on the planet.
So this afternoon, finding myself walking past the gym, I went in and scheduled an orientation. Tonight at 7:00 p.m.? Um, nooo...well...okay.
I went. I was oriented. I'm going back tomorrow for a fitness assessment and consultation.

On a related note, I started watching what I eat about four weeks ago. I lost a little over two pounds the first two weeks. Not exactly a stellar start (aren't the first five pounds just water???), and then I lost motivation and succumbed to the temptations of sangria, etc. This morning I weighed myself for the first time in two weeks and I was relieved to discover that I hadn't gained weight, although I hadn't lost anymore either. Hopefully going to the gym will help to build my resolve on the diet front too.

Motivations? Better health. More energy. More strength and resilience. And, absolutely, vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment